LENT

           So this is pretty random but I just wanted to ask you guys (comment down below if you'd like)..what did you give up for Lent?
           Yes, Lent started almost three weeks ago but it's never too late to start giving up something that has been a constant diversion recently in your daily routine. (did something pop up in your mind?) Most of you know that I gave up Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, and Youtube for a life long lent. I sometimes use them on Sundays which is exceptional but Youtube has been such a hard thing to ward off previous times so I decided to not use it anymore unless I have to. It might seem weird to think that not having an app to click on which immediately immerses you into the world of updates, selfies, news, trends, political campaigns, and hashtags is an easier way of life but from my point of view, it is. I don't know why but I've always been a huge advocate and lover of Lent. I think it's because I have a chance to give something up to the Father and show that what He has done for me matters. I'm not saying that if you didn't give anything up, you don't care because it's all in your heart. In the Bible, the teachers of the law would fast for show or for the people. Remember that to God the true intentions matter. This week I had bible study with my bible teacher and we were reading Genesis 9:1-17. In verses 1-4, after the flood God gave Noah all of the animals to eat! Before the flood, people did not eat meat but God sacrificed His animals for us even though we definitely didn't deserve that. If we rewind and go further back, we can see in Genesis 3:21 an action of God's love. "And the Lord God made clothing from animal skins for Adam and his wife." Even though Adam and Eve disobeyed Him, God still took care of them by killing one of His creations to provide for them. Then Sarah pointed out to me that eating more than you actually need can be a sin. I never realized this, because our living style is to eat whenever and whatever we want. Also since I am small I was always told to eat, eat, eat. (lol) She gave me an example of when she was invited to go eat at a vegetarian buffet. She had eaten one plate of food and was full, but continued to get two more plates. God was so gracious to us and gave us His creations so let us not abuse this gift. Sarah W. Brown (the bible teach) made me aware that if you eat greedily with plants and vegetarian food but eat balanced-like with meat, God would see that you eating meat is actually better. This topic might be a little confusing or controversial but I am currently explaining this because it has caused me to be stricken with realization. So, even though it's like halfway through Lent, I have decided to give up sugary things like chocolate, candy, nutella, and cake. ---Learning how to live humbly and humbly learning how to live.

Comments

  1. "learning how to live humbly and humbly learning how to live" - nice

    and I am always moved by how you give up things for God - whether it's good or bad! I love how rather than just hearing the word of God, you choose to take action.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment